DIY Spray Booth for Airbrushing and Kustom Painting
Building the room
First things first, get the regulations for your local area about spraying automotive paints. Health and safety rules are in place for your protection.
From the first few images here you can see I had rotten boards that needed replacement because they’re obviously not airtight nor a safe working environment. I ripped up all the old boards and carted them out of the way and gave the area a good clean up. Thankfully tthe bearers underneath we’re still in good shape so they didn’t need replacing too.
Rather than putting new timber boards down again, we used some hardwood sheets so that if I drop anything it wouldn’t find it’s way through the small gaps.
We measured the first board up and used the jigsaw to cut around the rainwater pipe in the corner – luckily the first board was almost perfectly level!
The second board caused some issues because there wasn’t enough support in the corners so we had to put an extra beam underneath. We also discovered that the whole frame that was holding the original timber boards had come away from the concrete it was attached to.
We had to drill some new hole’s into the frame and then add a few Dyna bolts into the concrete to make sure this wouldn’t happen again. This area needed to be really secure because it was going to be my main work area and I have some really big ideas for the desk I’d be putting in this space. Finally, we added boards three and four making sure everything was as level as possible.
Now onto the fun part! Setting up the walls for the spray booth. However, the only thing was – this wasn’t fun, at all. haha. It turned into a nightmare! Once we’d measured and cut the C-Channel and attached it to the floor, it was time to slide the panels into place.
The biggest issue we had was getting the panels to sit flush because the channel was far too tight, even though it was matched for this particular cool room panel. We got the first panel in but when we attempted to maneuver the second into position it started to bend the male-female setup on the side of the panel.
The corner panel needed to be cut to fit around the down pipe. To do this we used the 9-inch grinder with a metal cutting blade which made very light work of the panel. We’d then fill the gap around the pipe using expanda foam which dries rock hard and stops air leakage.
The second (longer) wall was much easier to work on and by this time I had another pair of hands to help out so the project was starting to take shape! As we got each panel to line up to one another, I pop riveted them to prevent them from moving apart. To give the wall stability we also built a small frame that mounted from behind and provided extra strength across the width of the panels.
Once all the panels for we’re in, it was time to pop rivet the L-Bracket along the top section of the wall which would obviously hold the roof panels up.
There was a few hours work drilling and attaching each L-Channel and we had to remove one of the panels at the rear of the booth because the there was half an inch difference in width at the entry of the booth and the exit. Once we had fixed this it was time to start getting the roof panels up! By this stage, we’d spent close to three full days on the project and was starting to actually look more like a spray booth and less like a shed so I was stoked! My dream of the last 5 years was appearing in front of my eyes! 🙂
I continued working on the booth throughout the week after my normal work day and had a hand from my Dad who loves a good project. My Dad (John) is a total perfectionist and wanted everything to slide in as firmly as possible with no movement in the roof panels. We ended up measuring and cutting the panel 3 times to have it sitting perfectly in place – he’s always handy to have around on these types of projects.
It was pretty tricky work getting the roof panels in because I’d twisted my wrist on another project so I was basically working one handed, and Dad has a bad shoulder (great pair that we are lol)
All the tedious work of putting up the L Panel paid off though because the roof was perfect, no movement anywhere and air right across the board.
And that’s the end of section 1 of this three part series! Stay tuned for the next two parts where I into detail about my vision of this project.